Home >Research Discovery>Discovery Biology
Introduction of group leader
Office phone: +82-2-3010-2368
Email: haengran.seo at ip-korea.org
Office location: R3.42 & Asan Medical Center
The Cancer Biology Research Laboratory’s (CBRL) area of expertise is liver cancer. Despite liver cancer being the sixth most frequent malignant tumor cancer globally (2012. CDC), and the second leading cause of cancer-related deaths (2012. CDC), it has been difficult to develop effective targeted therapies. There are only a few ways to treat liver cancer currently and only 10-20% of liver cancers can be removed surgically , therefore more innovative and novel approaches must be taken to improve treatment options.
To overcome the limitations of existing liver cancer therapies, CBRL takes a holistic view of tumors, constructing a 3-dimensional (3D) tumor microenvironment in vitro to fully understand tumor development, progression, chemo-resistance and treatment response which can be used as a platform for anti-cancer drug discovery, improving personalized cancer therapy.
Our present activity focuses on:
• Establishing 3D tumor microenvironment in vitro
• Investigating reciprocal crosstalk between the tumor and tumor microenvironment to reveal new information on infrastructure that supports tumor existence
• Examining new molecular mechanism(s) involved in anti-liver cancer drug resistance
• Establishing 3D tumor microenvironment platform for anti-liver cancer drug discovery
• Discovering new biomarker(s) for liver cancer early diagnosis and novel target(s) for liver cancer therapy
1) CDC : Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
2) Hepatocellular carcinoma. MedlinePlus, Medical Encyclopedia and wikipedia